NEXT Village and District 2 University (D2U) events on our calendar are open to all adults 60+ in northeast San Francisco. You do not need to be a member of NEXT Village to attend. Events are free unless indicated. Events are currently being held on Zoom (online or by phone) until we can meet in person again.
- 10January 10, 2021No events
- 11January 11, 2021https://nextvillagesf.org/event/improv-for-beginners/
Looking for a new activity that will have you laughing so hard it hurts (in a good way) while teaching you valuable life skills?
If you’ve never done Improv before, here’s your chance to see just how much fun it can be!
Improvization is the ability to make something special from nothing.
Instructor Louise Vogel will guide us through Improv techniques like active listening, being mindful, communication and trust. She’ll use games and exercises to flex your creative muscles.
While Improv may seem like a lot of fun, it also develops useful skills like dealing with uncertainty, thinking creatively to navigate the unknown and teamwork.
Everyone is welcome. No prior experience is necessary. Have fun with others and draw on your own background and imagination!
If you haven’t done it before, give Improvization Theatre a try. You might be surprised at what you can do and how much fun you can have being authentic, silly, crazy and weird!
Come play with other adults and learn the art of Improvization!!! You don’t have to participate with the players. You are welcome to observe and see what happens! We guarantee fun and laughter!!!
Presenter: Louise Vogel has been the Company Manager/Assistant Director and member of the Aquatic Park Players at the Aquatic Park Sr. Center in San Francisco since April 2016. Louise graduated with a BA in Speech and Theatre and has had experience in Children’s Theatre, Mime, Acting and Improvization. She studied Improvization with Sue Walden and Joya Cory in San Francisco for several years and has taught Improv Theatre at the Aquatic Park Sr. Center and is looking forward to continuing doing Zoom sessions with new and seasoned players.
- 12January 12, 2021https://nextvillagesf.org/event/posture-alignment-series/Join Roxanna Benjamin for a weekly series to assess alignment in the 4 most common postures: standing, sitting, lying and walking. Learn how your body should hold itself up in a safe way that won’t strain your joints, will activate your muscles, strengthen your core and move more freely. Benefits of improved posture include better breathing, improved digestions, increased mobility and strength. Tuesdays January 5, 12, 19, & 26.Roxanna Benjamin is a fitness instructor who focuses on POP Pilates and PIIT28 instruction. She also has a special interest in digestive health and nutrition from her personal journey toward a plant based diet and teaches seminars in these topics along with food preparation demonstrations.
- 13January 13, 2021https://nextvillagesf.org/event/low-impact-cardio-strength/In this four part series, we will be going over the basics for maintaining physical health and well being. Our main focus areas will include cardio, strength, balance and mobility. These exercise routines can be done in the home or the gym, with minimal equipment required. Each exercise will come with options to make the experience more comfortable or challenging. Wednesdays January 6, 13, 20 & 27.
Tony Jones is a certified personal trainer from the Bay Area. He loves to help his clients develop and maintain long term active lifestyles. He believes that exercise is as much a tool of self empowerment as it is a way to get in shape. He uses different training strategies and styles to help clients build self confidence, resilience, and stay active for life!”You will be required to complete a waiver to participate. The waiver will be sent through Docusign after you register.https://nextvillagesf.org/event/lunch-is-served-lunch-with-the-bunch-5/
Wednesday, January 13th 11:30-12:30 or so.
Get some take out and meet us at Zoom!
(Phone or computer)
Women’s Conversation Group (D2U)
Featuring Ace Volunteers Alex & Leslie Pellegrini
Weekly on Wednesdays, 1 – 2 pm: January 6, 13, 20 & 27
Alex and Leslie continue their popular facilitated weekly women’s conversation group.
This has become a highlight of the week for women wanting to have a weekly anchor event to keep them laughing and connected (via a safe, socially distanced Zoom gathering!).
This is a special community for women who want to join a close knit and welcoming weekly group. You never know what questions will be asked as you learn more about each other’s interests, values, and lives.
- 14January 14, 2021https://nextvillagesf.org/event/italian-conversation-group-d2u-3/Benvenuti Italian Language Speakers and Learners!!!!
Join other Italians, Italian-Americans, and non-native Italian speakers who want to practice Italian in an informal and welcoming environment.This is a casual gathering where people can use and practice their Italian. No judgement, no pressure!Join us weekly as we help each other practice Italian with a fun group of fellow lovers of the language!Logistical Notes:
- Group meets weekly every Thursday at 11 AM — January 7, 14, 21 & 28, 2021.
- Come to as many sessions as you can, but it’s OK to miss some! Join when you can.
- This is a conversation group rather than a beginners’ class, so basic conversational abilities are requested.
Zoom login & phone dial in number will be sent in reminder email from NEXT Village 24 hours prior to event.
Stress Busters INTRODUCTORY WORKSHOPS – 5 Steps to Deal with Stress
Stress comes in many ways. It’s that uneasy feeling we get when we’re upset — whether it’s because we’re angry, worried, depressed or disturbed for other reasons. For many of us, it’s hard not to be stressed and anxious in the midst of challenging times.
In Stress Buster workshops, we’ll learn how stress starts and a simple effective method to handle your reaction to situations. You’ll learn a five step process to reduce stress and help you better respond to any situation in a helpful way, instead of getting upset. Stress Busters (also known as Ding Sum) has been serving seniors in San Francisco for over 30 years, reaching 900 people through monthly in person seminars, and now via Zoom!
This weekly series is fun and practical. Leave each session with new practical insights on how to better handle whatever life throws at you. This Introductory series is for anyone who hasn’t done Stress Busters before, or for anyone who would like a refresher!
Learn the basics about the 5 steps and how to apply them (1. Stop, 2. Assess, 3. Decide, 4. Do, 5. Re-evaluate) in this 8 week series. OK if you need to miss some meetings in the series – join again when you can!
Intro Workshops are on Thursdays at 1 PM
Topics for each week are below. It’s OK if you missed previous sessions. Stress Busters does a review each week on previous steps!
- Nov 12 – Introduction to 5 steps & Step 1: Stop
- Nov. 19 – Step 2: Assess
- Dec. 10 – Step 3: Decide
- Dec. 17 – Step 4: Do
- Jan. 7 – Step 5: Re-evaluate
- Jan. 14 – Stress and Uncertainty
- Jan. 21 – Memories and Stress
- Jan 28 – Topic TBD
Stress Busters INTERMEDIATE WORKSHOPS
In addition to the Introduction to Stress Busters series above, NEXT Village offers “Intermediate” level workshops and discussion groups to those who have already attended Stress Busters workshops and are familiar with the five steps. Details on our Intermediate level sessions are below.
MONTHLY DISCUSSION GROUP
Informal discussion group to provide an interactive opportunity to share and discuss concepts from the workshops. Upcoming dates:
- 3 PM on January 7 and February 4
MONTHLY “INTERMEDIATE” WORKSHOPS
These workshops delve into more detail on how to apply the 5 steps successfully. You’re welcome to join in as you’ll get value from them even if you haven’t done all of the Intro courses. Upcoming dates:
- 3 PM on January 21 and February 18
List of the Stress Busters five steps can be found at http://www.123dingsum.org/how-to-ding-sum
Speakers – Eileen Chan and Gary Ow are native San Franciscans. Both have volunteered with Stress Busters since the organization was founded over 30 years ago. Eileen is trained as an optometrist and Gary Ow works in computer technology. They are married with three grown children.
> Zoom login & phone dial in number will be sent in reminder email from NEXT Village 24 hours prior to event.
- 15January 15, 2021https://nextvillagesf.org/event/coffee-n-conversation/
Looking for a place to have conversations with people about current events and random topics in a casual, informal gathering?
Join us for our first Coffee n’ Conversation. It’s the Zoom equivalent of meeting a few friends at the local coffee shop.
We’ll provide some questions to get things started so in small groups of 3-4 people you can discuss what’s going on and share your perspective and hear from others. We welcome suggestions for starter questions or topics!
If there’s interest, we can continue the conversation group on a regular basis as a forum for gathering with people to compare notes on what is going on in San Francisco and the world until we can meet in person in a local coffee shop.
Not a coffee drinker? No problem, tea, water or no beverage are also perfectly acceptable!
RSVP: https://bit.ly/NEXT-Reghttps://nextvillagesf.org/event/next-village-entertainment-swap-2/NEXT Village Entertainment SWAP! Fridays 11:15-12704 Filbert Street, San Francisco, CA 94133Bring your used books, movies, Jigsaw puzzles and other entertainment to recycle and share with other NEXT’ers. Barbara and Kim will be at the NEXT Village office, 704 Filbert Street, on Fridays from 11am to 12pm to accept your donations and let you pick some new to you entertainment to help you pass the quarantine time.(PS: Sadly this is not a social visit, but a quick exchange. Please remember your mask and practice social distancing )
- 16January 16, 2021No events